Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Getting To Know You....

Ask any teacher and they'll tell you that the first few weeks of school are hectic X 100.  In my school, the first weeks bring the Ice Cream Social, Curriculum Night, and Goal Setting conferences. Basically, it's like 0 to 80 in five seconds.  Or at least that's what it feels like.  This, of course, is on top of teaching little ones for seven hours a day. It's all a blur, really, and by Friday night, I'm lucky if I can stay up past 8:30.  

The first weeks of school are also a beautiful combination of meeting new little faces and personalities, getting to see teacher friends every day, and a sense of excitement for the new year stretching ahead of us all. 

I arrived home today (after car duty), exhausted and thankful that I have the next two days off. Exhilarated to be able to sleep past 5:45.   When I caught sight of myself in the mirror as I got out of my car, I had to chuckle.  The time spent on hair and make-up this morning was no longer evident.  At all. Teaching is a tough job mentally.  But it also can take a toll physically.

It always startles me a bit when I see what I look like at the end of a busy day at school compared to what I think I look like.    Click on the link below and see what I mean.
If you are a teacher, you will totally understand.

What I Think I look like (minus the outfit)

I think one of my little students summed it up best when he said to me before we left school today, "You look tired.  Try and get some sleep this weekend."  

One thing I'm never short of at school are suggestions and honesty. 

So, even though I may not be Julie Andrews and all sing-songy and bubbly and dressed to the nines every day, I'm truly enjoying getting to know my students.  Some are fun and some are quiet.  Some are boisterous and some are serious.  Some are happy and some are creative.  Some are musical and some are shy.  Some are loud and some are helpful.  Some are nervous and some are motivated.  Some are curious and some are polite. Some are careful and some are courageous.  And getting to know them is the very best part of my job.   


Haven't you noticed?  Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?  
Because of all the beautiful and new,
Things I'm learning about you,
Day
By
Day

Thank you little third graders.  It's gonna be a great year!


No comments:

Post a Comment